Resolving a "Missing Driver" Error from DialOut/EZ
When Windows raises an error indicating that it can not find the redirector driver, the following steps should fix the problem:
- Disable any anti-virus/malware programs on the PC.
- In the Windows Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs applet, uninstall DialOut/EZ, if it is listed.
- In the Windows Device Manager, choose View | Show Hidden devices. On the right-hand pane, open the Non-Plug and Play Drivers section. On the "DialOut/EZ Serial Driver" and "deserial" drivers right-click and choose uninstall, if present.
- Delete the C:\Program Files\Tactical Software\ folder, if it is present.
- Rename the <windows folder>\system32\drivers\deserial.sys file to deserial.old, if it is present.
- Run the Microsoft Installer Fixer program located here: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall
Please do not skip this step. This issue is most likely caused by some corruption in the Windows registry and running this program is the only way to fix it.
- Reboot the PC.
- Reinstall the latest version of DialOut/EZ (do not use an older version) from a Windows command prompt with the following parameters: DialOutEZ4912.exe /l*v c:\install_log.txt